Thursday 17 December 2015

A Grandfather's By-weekly Blog

I must begin the process of entering the social media world with a confession, namely that I know very little about how it operates, and therefore I am relying on the Len’s expertise to coach me along until I gain some proficiency in the system. With this in mind I will begin with a bit of personal family history.


Religion and church has been an integral part of my life as far back as I can remember, and for my first 20 years it was often a point of heated discussion in my family, resulting in strained relations and much internal tension. Fortunately however, I attended two churches during this growing up time; a Catholic and a United Church.  Both, I must admit, were a source of quiet, belonging and peace, and I was happy to attend. 

My early life, in those days, was probably a little different from anybody else born into a “ mixed marriage” with a compassionate and accepting Baptist Mom, a lapsed Catholic Father, who I think was a bit guilty about his distance from the Church.  A kind and compassionate Grandfather and a rigid but loving Irish Grandmother, both staunchly Catholic, hovered in the background, forming a mixture of relationships that often resulted in tension filled family discussions about my religious life. 

In the interest of brevity I shall focus on my Grandfather. Subsequent BLOGS will expand on other aspects of my religious life.


Readers of this BLOG will have no difficulty in understanding that all of this religious tension and activity in the life of a young male growing to manhood was tumultuous to say the least.   But through years of internal family bickering, my Grandfather was the quiet voice, a gentle man who said little, but was a shining example of a Christian by the way he lived and interacted with others …an attitude for others, regardless of background or state in life, that he acquired as a medic in the front line battles of the first world war in France and Belgium.  This example of a grateful Grandparent living his life in a Christ-like way slowly and unconsciously penetrated my inner self, and became a major influence in my eventual choice to convert to Catholicism.  This remains as a force in my present life as well.




Future BLOGS will expand on Grandparents in the church of today.


Ron Beed


No comments:

Post a Comment