Friday 24 March 2017

A Christian Response


The next time you have to awkwardly explain at a party or office gathering why you go to church or some other place where church is a jaw dropping absurdity–here are some ways to explain it, honestly and sincerely

1. I am a Christian, and I believe that God loves me and you and everybody exactly as they are, unconditionally.
2. Yet, God loves us too much to leave us that way–I am a Christian because I believe that God is always pushing me to grow in love of God, love of neighbor, and love of self.

3. I am a Christian, because I believe that my God actually chose to be human like us–and live the beautiful, painful, messy life of a human just like us–solely to love us better.

4. I am a Christian, because I believe that God rose from the dead in order to prove how much we are loved.

5. I am a Christian, because I believe that my God gives me the tools–and the command–to spread the story of resurrection and love to those who need it most.

6. I am a Christian, because I believe that I–and all people–are invited to find healing from all pain, sorrow, and failure at God’s table during communion.

7. I am a Christian because I believe that through Jesus, God declared that death, hate and oppression are never the last word.

8. I am a Christian, because I believe that, in our very busy world, my Christian faith offers me a time to slow down and take my relationships seriously.

9. I am a Christian, because I believe that, in our divided and fearful world, my Christian faith offers me a way to live into connection, belonging, and trust.

10. I am a Christian, because I believe that racism, and sexism, and all the isms that separate us from seeing each other as full humans, are resistances to God's love, and in faith, we are called to stand up against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment