Friday 15 January 2016

Why Share A Faith Legacy

Often today, we see posters and signs encouraging us to live in the “present moment”.  “The past is gone, the future is yet to be determined.  Real life happens “now”, in the present moment.”  

Being a long-time meditator, I certainly believe in this myself.  Let’s face it, too much time can be wasted dwelling on past hurts or mistakes, mulling over past stories that only stir up a sense of sadness or regret.
 
If this is the case, then what is the purpose of sharing the stories of our past, our faith legacy?  Is this not giving too much attention to what lies behind us, and takes us away from living our lives in the present moment?
 
If we are writing our stories in order to romanticize the past or to dwell negatively on the burdens and hardships we had to bear, then I agree it would be best to let them go and forget the past.  Do your best to live your life to its fullness “now”.  After all, why create a life that is lost in the drama and pain of past events that take away the joy of this present moment. 
    
However, our stories, the legacy of our faith can be a “present moment” experience.   What is a “present moment” experience?  When we give our attention to something that is immediate, whether it is a mountain view, a sunset, a flower, an ocean scene etc., we become immersed in an awe and wonder that produces joy, peace, love and contentment.  If this is your experience, you have entered the world of your true self.  You are living in the present moment.   This is the place where your Spirit comes in contact with God’s Spirit, and the two unite.
 
Psalm 139 does that for me as well.
 
“Lord, you have searched me and know me, You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from far away.  You search out my path and are acquainted with all my ways.  Even before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it.”
  
  
Psalm 139 is a legacy of faith.  It speaks of a past story of one’s experience with God, but brings it alive to the “now”.  It produces the joy, peace, love and contentment of the present moment. 


Over the years, we discover that we have been guided by that which lies beyond the false notion of ourselves.  When we can more fully experience this eternal connection that we possess, then we also can more easily embrace the life we have at this moment which we see as fleeting but also most precious.  From this standpoint, the human experiences of the past become of immeasurable value and are treasured because they represent for us (and others) moments that have provided for our growth, our well-being, and our happiness.  

Our connection with God through these past experiences becomes a witness to ourselves and to others of God’s continuous presence in each moment of our lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment